Friday, April 8, 2011

A new adventure awaits

So my husband is an airline pilot... don't know if I'm mentioned that before.  He has been based out of Chicago for the last 4 years, and while we don't live there it has become his home, at least his home away from home.  We have been talking about putting our house on the market and actually moving there.  Technically being an airline employee he doesn't actually have to live where he is based.  He has these wonderful flight benefits and can fly anywhere for free.  He has been commuting to work and it hasn't been a problem but we never see him.  The reason we were thinking about changing this up is my husband is a first officer and was up for and upgrade to captain.  This is a big deal.  Switching from the right seat to the all powerful left seat.  In charge of that little plane and all its passengers.  He figured he could get Chicago no problem.  And we figured we might as well move there because the little time we see of him now would be reduced drastically.  He would go on reserve.  This means that he would basically be on call on the days he works and would have to actually be where he is based.  A lot of pilots and flight attendants get what is known as a crash pad, basically a bed in their city, but this just didn't seem like enough.  So we started getting everything ready.  I've repainted the house and got the odds and ends done to put it on the market.  I've talked to friends and looked into neighborhoods in Chicago and looked at schools since Rowen will be starting Kindergarden in the fall.  We thought we had all of our bases covered.  Then the bid came out.  And we got...New York.  New York?!??!  Are you kidding me!??!  I was NOT prepared for New York!  The only things I knew about New York weren't in its favor.  But I'm lucky that I have a wonderful group of friends I can freak out to when things like this happen.  And even luckier for me, several of them just happen to live IN NYC.  Now I'm feeling pretty good about this new adventure.  And adventure is exactly how I see it.  This is a wonderful opportunity for us and for the kids.  I can't wait to experience everything and get to show Rowen and Phoebe all the wonderful things NYC has to offer.  Now we are just waiting on a training date... which if you know anything about the airlines, could take awhile. 
And a quick picture because you can't have a blog post without pictures!
My baby girl just turned 8 months old, and she got a new hat!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment